With Northern California’s amazing weather, it is common for drivers, cyclists and pedestrians to all share the road. But oftentimes safety is ignored, which can lead to deadly accidents. The number of fatalities involving bicycles and pedestrians increases every year. These types of accidents are particularly common in Sacramento.
How Bike and Pedestrian Accidents Occur
- Crashes into a pedestrian or cyclist.
- Someone comes from a driveway and pulls into traffic hitting a cyclist or jogger.
- Failure to yield at an intersection.
- Passing a runner, pedestrian or driver.
- Failure to look both ways after a stop sign.
- Being under the influence of alcohol and drugs.
There are other common reasons why these accidents happen such as defective parts, product recalls, and unreliable equipment. There are also accidents caused by street defects and vehicle collisions. A Sacramento injury attorney can take a look at the circumstances leading to the accident and determine whether they qualify for a Personal Injury Claim.
Common Injuries from Pedestrian and Bicycle Accidents
Injuries caused by bicycle and pedestrian accidents can be devastating. Permanent disability is also possible. Although wearing a helmet is required in California, even when wearing one, many injuries can’t be prevented due other larger vehicles being involved. Some of the most common bike accident injuries include:
- Soft-tissue injuries (abrasions, contusions, lacerations, etc)
- Head injuries, including skull fractures
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Facial Injuries
- Musculoskeletal injuries (fractures, sprains, etc)
If you or a loved one has suffered any of these injuries, contact a Sacramento bicycle & pedestrian accident attorney with experience in these types of cases.
Cyclists as well as pedestrians should be aware of safety precautions. Some of the most important safety measures a person should take include:
- Wear a helmet
- Respect traffic laws and avoid busy roads
- Avoid distractions such as cellphones and listening to music
- Use your turn signals
- Take a look before making a turn
- Use bike lights
Bike and Pedestrian Traffic Have Increased
Cycling has become very popular over the last decade with trips increasing about 15 percent. Surprisingly, though, fatalities have decreased. According to some studies conducted in New York, the more cyclists on the road, the more drivers become aware of their presence. In other words, cyclists and drivers have adjusted their driving to increased traffic volumes. There is lower vehicle speed when there are too many bicycle and pedestrians on the road so drivers may be more careful. Also, some streets have been designed to accommodate a high volume of traffic.
Sacramento Injury Attorneys
Sacramento is a busy place, no matter how you travel around it. If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident or a bicycle accident, you may have limited time to file a claim. Contact the experienced injury attorneys at the Law Offices of Zappettini and Bradley for a FREE CASE EVALUATION today!